Who We Are
WHO WE ARE:
The Young Professionals Network (YPN) is one of SCELL’s innovative opportunities to build male population at the University of St. Martin (USM).
Founded in August 2015, by the SCELL Director, Dr. Natasha J. Gittens, Ph.D., CHE., the Young Professionals Network was formed to support young men enrolled at USM with a solid platform to share their personal academic experiences with potential USM male students and to increase male enrollment at USM. YPN strives to build networks and help educate young professionals through coaching, mentorship and a number of events and activities to make a measurable difference in their lives.
THE YPN EXISTS TO CREATE THE FOLLOWING FOR OUR PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS:
- Scholarship opportunities for males
- Peer Support
- Leadership and Managerial Coaching
- Community Opportunities to Make A Measurable Difference
- Progressive Conferences and Networking Platforms
YPN MEMBERS GAIN:
- Broadened perspectives and enhanced potential.
- Assistance in opening doors for greater corporate/organizational community involvement and visibility.
- Opportunities to influence positive change in the community.
- Unique contact with community leaders and elected officials.
- Access to YPN “members only” events.
- Volunteer opportunities with Chambers of Commerces throughout the eastern carribbean.
- Membership Card featuring discounts and offers from local businesses.
- Variety of events and activities to fit any schedule.
- The YPN is open to individuals between the ages of 21-39. Our members come from a variety of
- backgrounds and professions.
"Education never stops and should be viewed as an ongoing personal development. The more males on the island that pursue degrees the better the St. Maarten community will become."
YPN Vice President
"I do not take this appointment lightly as Vice President of YPN. My years at USM have been on and off but I realize now that I must take my Education seriously and make it a priority. I am committed to encouraging others males to make the right choice to earn a degree at USM."
YPN Events Manager
"Life without education is not life, especially for us, black men of the future. Education is the bridge that everyone should cross the key passage way that leads to endless and unlimited possibilities for future, our families and our communities."
YPN Honorary Board Member
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Joining YPN is straightforward. Having attended at least two of our events, you will have an idea of what we offer and how we operate. The next step is for you to complete the application form here together with thoughts on your motivations to join YPN. We will ask you for a proposer and seconder for your application. These must be current members of YPN.
Your application will be forwarded to the Membership Committee for consideration and once through that part of the process your application will be ratified at a monthly Board meeting. We aim to provide a fairly prompt response, dependent on timing of your application and our Board meetings. You can expect a warm welcome from the members of YPN at any event you attend. We will be keen to meet prospective members and hear your views and thoughts on YPN.
- Attend regular events free of charge
- Discounted conference attendance
- Guaranteed 50% discount on WIN Gala Dinner tickets
- Guaranteed 50% discount on SCELL Gala Dinner tickets
- Guaranteed 10% off all YPN Events
- ½ Price off on All Excursions, Fashions Shows & Special Events.
- 10% off on all YPN Clothing sold by TPI Apparel Store.